Blue Button

Blue Button (Sandra Schock-Houtman)

Artist statement – Sandra Schock-Houtman

There are infinite possibilities when one uses the Earth and its progeny as sparks for creativity.  I found Dr. White’s photographs of plankton engaging at first sight. The biggest problem I encountered in creating work for this show was choosing one photo to focus on!

For several years, I have incorporated carving in my clay work. Recently I have begun making porcelain paper clay using the dried trimmings from my functional pottery. By mixing them with scraps with paper, I am able to create a clay that is very strong and can be made very thin, thus making the pieces lighter. It is also easier to throw large pieces.

My three illuminated pieces in the Art of Plankton show are all wheel thrown, porcelain paper clay that has been stained with underglazes, sprayed with a light coat of clay and finally highlighted with a small amount of acrylic paint.

I am most grateful to Angelicque White for the work that she does in marine biology at Oregon State University and for her willingness to share her expertise and enthusiasm with the artists in this show.

Corvallis, Oregon 2012

For other works submitted to the Art of Plankton show, see Forms from the Sea.