Healthy Planet Marine Studies Initiative

Drifters 1

“My paintings are created in the intersections of science, philosophy and art.”

Drifters I, 17 x 17 inches, oil on wood panel, 2012, by Leah Wilson

Artist statement — Leah Wilson.

My paintings are created in the intersections of science, philosophy and art. Years ago, I created paintings in response to the natural river environment — the effect of light, movement and rhythms of its elements. The elements, especially water, provide a framework, a reference to return to in the decision making process. In the words of author Tom Robbins, water is “always in motion, ever-flowing (whether at steam rate or glacial speed), rhythmic, dynamic, ubiquitous, changing and working its changes, a mathematics turned wrongside out, a philosophy in reverse.” It provides a perfect stage for a fleeting event to occur and travel on.

With these paintings, I return to water, but this time, rather than looking at patterns created by river currents, I am using Angelicque White’s images of phytoplankton, marine cyanobacteria, as a starting point and anchor.

I chose images for their simplicity and ambiguity. They are expansive images, opening possibilities of meaning beyond the realm of the sea.

Because of the ambiguity within the images, I have created a set of parameters to which each painting must adhere:

The color palette I work with is from images taken from light microscopy.

One scientific element must be referenced within the painting, even if it becomes obscured throughout the painting process. A painting may include an arc of a petri dish; another, marks of a ruler.

Depth and movement must be included within the ‘perfect stage for a fleeting event to occur and travel on.’

Eugene, Oregon, 2012

For other works submitted to the Art of Plankton show, see Forms from the Sea.

By Nick Houtman

Nick Houtman is director of research communications at OSU and edits Terra, a world of research and creativity at Oregon State University. He has experience in weekly and daily print journalism and university science writing. A native Californian, he lived in Wisconsin and Maine before arriving in Corvallis in 2005.