Science Pub Corvallis offers thought-provoking presentations along with good food and drink in an informal atmosphere. Interact with experts, ask silly questions and leave feeling more nourished and knowledgeable. No scientific background is required – just bring your curiosity, sense of humor and appetite!
Held on the second Monday of the month in Corvallis, Oregon. Science Pub is sponsored by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the Downtown Corvallis Association and Terra magazine at Oregon State University.
Global Warming & Human Migration
On April 8, David Wrathall, a geographer with expertise in environmental risk and resilience, will speak on the movement of people caused by climate change.
David Wrathall, an assistant professor in Oregon State University’s College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, will focus on an important societal challenge related to climate change — human migration. The presentation will start at 6 p.m. at the Old World Deli, 341 2nd St. in Corvallis.
The key dynamics that unfold under different climate change scenarios — the timing of future migrations, likely destinations, volumes of migrants and the condition of migrants — are largely dependent on the policy choices that influence where and how we live now.
Wrathall says, “It is crucial to identify the type of information that can help decision-makers identify and evaluate the intervention pathways that minimize consequences for people who will inevitably migrate as the climate shifts.”
Wrathall, a geographer with expertise in environmental science and marine resource management, researches risk and resilience, climate change adaptation and political ecology.
Due to the continuing popularity of Science Pub, we are implementing a ticketing/RSVP process. Please read the specifics below.
- This is a free event, but registration is recommended.
- Limit of two (2) free tickets per person.
- Registration typically opens three weeks prior to each Science Pub.
- Available on a first-come, first serve basis at the link above or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Advanced registration recommended to guarantee a ticket/seat.
- Only register if you plan on attending, please.
- If plans change, please cancel your reservation via your initial confirmation email or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Walk-ins welcome, but seating will not be guaranteed and is based on availability.
- Register for the Science Pub listserv at Science Pub Corvallis Email List or 541-737-4717.
On April 8, David Wrathall will present on how the world will be keep below the 1.5 C global temperature increase since pre-industrial times.