Science Pub Corvallis offers thought-provoking presentations along with good food and drink in an informal atmosphere. Interact with experts, ask silly questions and leave feeling more nourished and knowledgeable. No scientific background is required – just bring your curiosity, sense of humor and appetite!
July 13, 2020: Race and Politics: Reflections on a movement and an election
Speaker: Christopher Stout, School of Public Policy, Oregon State University
This discussion will focus on how Black Lives Matter as a movement arose, its historical antecedents and political ramifications. Christopher Stout will consider why there was a large lull in racial movements in the United States between the Civil Rights Movement and Black Lives Matter, how Black Lives Matter has reshaped American Politics and how the movement is likely to influence the upcoming presidential election.
Stout is an associate professor in the School of Public Policy at Oregon State University and the author of Bringing Race Back In: Black Politicians, Deracialization, and Voting Behavior in the Age of Obama and The Case for Identity Politics: Polarization, Demographic Change, and Racial Appeals. He teaches courses on the American political system and presidential and congressional politics.
Register for the July 13, 2020 science pub here (https://beav.es/4yS). Reminders and a link to the event will be sent via email.
Podcasts of previous Corvallis Science Pub events on topics such as “Technology in the Fields” and “From Wolves to the Warning to Humanity: Facing the Environmental Crisis through Science” are available at http://communications.oregonstate.edu/podcast.
For accommodations for disabilities or questions, contact University Events at 541-737-4717 or email@example.com
Held on the second Monday of the month in Corvallis, Oregon, Science Pub is sponsored by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the Downtown Corvallis Association, the Office of Research and Terra magazine at Oregon State University.
Make sure to secure your tickets for Science Pub Corvallis as we frequently have maximum capacity attendance. Please read the specifics below.
- This is a free event, but registration is recommended.
- Registration typically opens three weeks prior to each Science Pub.
- Available on a first-come, first serve basis at the link above or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Advanced registration recommended to guarantee a ticket/seat.
- Only register if you plan on attending, please.
- If plans change, please cancel your reservation via your initial confirmation email or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Walk-ins welcome, but seating will not be guaranteed and is based on availability.
- Register for the Science Pub listserv at Science Pub Corvallis Email List or 541-737-4717.