Science Pub Corvallis offers thought-provoking presentations along with good food and drink in an informal atmosphere. Interact with experts, ask silly questions and leave feeling more nourished and knowledgeable. No scientific background is required – just bring your curiosity, sense of humor and appetite!
OCTOBER 14 — Tsunami Travelers: What we have learned from the mega-rafting event
SPEAKER — Jessica Miller, Professor, OSU Fisheries and Wildlife
LOCATION — Old World Deli, 341 SW 2nd St., Corvallis
The 2011 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami launched a flood of debris across the Pacific Ocean. As pieces of wood, plastic boxes, buoys, and even docks began to wash up on beaches, scientists scrambled to record organisms that had successfully hitchhiked their way to Oregon, throughout the Northwest, and to the Hawaiian Archipelago.
Jessica Miller, professor of Fisheries and Wildlife at Oregon State University, was a member of the team that cataloged nearly 300 species of marine animals, many of which were not previously found in Oregon. The scientists published findings about the influx of exotic species in the journal Science in 2017.
At this Corvallis Science Pub, Miller will discuss what she and her colleagues discovered and the potential impacts from the organisms, many of which were capable of reproduction when they arrived in coastal waters of the NE Pacific. Their research also highlights the potential for large events, such as tsunamis and major storms, to interact with expanding coastal infrastructure and increase the role of marine debris as a novel vector for species dispersal.
“We were able to not only identify this unique suite of species but, in some cases, examine their growth and ability to reproduce which provides useful information on how they fared during their transoceanic voyage,” said Miller.
November 4 — Astrobiology, Ethics and Earth’s Legacy. Speaker: Martin Fisk, emeritus professor, Oregon State University.
Held on the second Monday of the month in Corvallis, Oregon. Science Pub is sponsored by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the Downtown Corvallis Association and Terra magazine at Oregon State University.
Due to the continuing popularity of Science Pub, we are implementing a ticketing/RSVP process. Please read the specifics below.
- This is a free event, but registration is recommended.
- Registration typically opens three weeks prior to each Science Pub.
- Available on a first-come, first serve basis at the link above or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Advanced registration recommended to guarantee a ticket/seat.
- Only register if you plan on attending, please.
- If plans change, please cancel your reservation via your initial confirmation email or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Walk-ins welcome, but seating will not be guaranteed and is based on availability.
- Register for the Science Pub listserv at Science Pub Corvallis Email List or 541-737-4717.