Science Pub Corvallis offers thought-provoking presentations along with good food and drink in an informal atmosphere. Interact with experts, ask silly questions and leave feeling more nourished and knowledgeable. No scientific background is required – just bring your curiosity, sense of humor and appetite!
SEPTEMBER 9 — Birth Culture: The Community Doula Program
SPEAKER — Melissa Cheyney, associate professor, College of Liberal Arts, Oregon State University
LOCATION — Old World Deli, 341 SW 2nd St., Corvallis
The Community Doula Program explores the impact of culturally and socially matched doula care on birth outcomes for childbearing families in Linn, Benton and Lincoln counties. Melissa Cheyney, a medical anthropologist and certified midwife at Oregon State University, leads the initiative. The goal is to promote equity in maternity care outcomes as part of the standard of care for all pregnant people. Cheyney will discuss the services provided by doulas, as well as the history of the project and its accomplishments to date.
October 14 — Tsunami travellers: what have we learned from a mega-rafting event? Speaker: Jessica Miller, Oregon State University
November 4 — Astrobiology, Ethics and Earth’s Legacy. Speaker: Martin Fisk, emeritus professor, Oregon State University.
Held on the second Monday of the month in Corvallis, Oregon. Science Pub is sponsored by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the Downtown Corvallis Association and Terra magazine at Oregon State University.
Due to the continuing popularity of Science Pub, we are implementing a ticketing/RSVP process. Please read the specifics below.
- This is a free event, but registration is recommended.
- Registration typically opens three weeks prior to each Science Pub.
- Available on a first-come, first serve basis at the link above or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Advanced registration recommended to guarantee a ticket/seat.
- Only register if you plan on attending, please.
- If plans change, please cancel your reservation via your initial confirmation email or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Walk-ins welcome, but seating will not be guaranteed and is based on availability.
- Register for the Science Pub listserv at Science Pub Corvallis Email List or 541-737-4717.