Science Pub Corvallis offers cool presentations in an informal atmosphere where you can interact with experts and where there are no silly questions. No scientific background is required – just bring your curiosity, sense of humor, and appetite for food, drinks and knowledge!
Held on the second Monday of the month, 6 to 8 p.m. in the Old World Deli, 341 2nd St. in Corvallis, Science Pub is sponsored by the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the Downtown Corvallis Association and Terra magazine at Oregon State University.
Check out photos from the May 13, 2013 Science Pub. You can also see past Science Pub events (2009-2014) online and listen to the Science Pub podcast, starting with June 2016, Jane Ishmael on Marijuana as Medicine. And if you can’t join us in Corvallis, check out science pubs by OSU-Cascades in Bend and by OMSI in Portland, Hillsboro and Eugene.
Higgins explores the intersection of farming and technology. He and his students are testing the idea that RFID (radio-frequency identification) devices, which are commonly used to track inventory in retail stores, can generate a round-the-clock, area-wide picture of soil moisture. Such information could help fine tune planting and irrigation schedules. The researchers are using unmanned aerial systems (drones) to record light reflected from plant leaves and to translate data into indications of stress.
Researchers and food producers 150 years from now might look back and wonder if we really had any idea where things were headed.
“The trend has always been to increase the efficiency, increase the productivity, increase the automation, increase the control,” says Higgins, “and I wonder if the end state is complete automation.”
Due to the continuing popularity of Science Pub, we are implementing a ticketing/RSVP process. Please read the specifics below.
- Limit of two free tickets per person.
- Registration opens three weeks prior to each Science Pub and is limited to the first 100 tickets.
- Available on a first-come, first-serve basis at the link above or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Advanced registration recommended to guarantee a ticket/seat.
- Only register if you plan on attending please.
- If plans change, please cancel your reservation via your initial confirmation email or by calling 541-737-4717.
- Walk-ins welcome, but seating will not be guaranteed and is based on availability.
- Register for the Science Pub listserv at Science Pub Corvallis Email List or 541-737-4717.
The November Science Pub event will be a special presentation at the Whiteside Theatre. Oregon State University will be presenting Dr. Bill Ripple’s “Warning to Humanity” speech. Check back for further details.